Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pattern Picking-Finger Licking?

When I started this blog venture, my daughter Jenilee  told me I could blog about anything not just sewing.

Today, I am going to write about something that happens at every pattern area in every fabric/craft store, ladies licking their fingers to turn the pages of pattern books.

From my vast experience at observing this ritual I think it happens an average about once every 6 or 7 pages. From my observation. the newer the book the more frequent the licks. Those pages are really difficult to separate, until they have been thoroughly used and licked!

(It drives me crazy).

I have been to many different fabric/craft stores for over 35 years, in two countries ( I grew up in Canada) and ladies lick their way through the pattern catalog. 

When wallpaper was popular years ago, those books always got a good licking too!



So this is my quick solution.


I thought about having a contest to have you guess what the purpose is for pattern picking?

I am so positive no could guess I thought would just tell you.


I decided that I wanted to go to the fabric store today and look for a new jacket pattern.


Since I did not have what a teller uses to count dirty money.



(Lee Product Company)

 I decided to put a wet paper towel in a zip lock bag.



When I arrived at the pattern table I had it all to myself.  Needless to say this was wonderful, anyone who had licked their way through the books before me had already left. (Sometimes, it is better not to know who looked before you)

I took the little zip lock bag out of my purse and  discreetly placed it on the table. It worked great every few pages I quietly moistened my finger and quickly made it through several books.

 After about 15 minutes, a lady sat down right beside me and found a book.  She immediately preceded to lick her finger and loudly smack her lips as she looked through the book I just set aside......I am sure she appreciated not having my DNA on each page of the book!

I think the next time I go to a office supply store I am going to pick up a Sortkwik and keep it handy for my next trip to the fabric store. It will look a little more classy then my homemade solution!

I hope the next time YOU go to a fabric store you go prepared with a sanitary way to lick your way through the pattern books!

7 comments:

  1. Ewwwww I am never going to look at pattern books again without plastic gloves or hand sanitizer nearby! Ahhhahahahahaha GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a fun post! great idea, Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Christina & Jenilee..I just wish it was not so true.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - now there is something I did not need to know (numerous women licking the books), but I can totally visualize it! I think I can see my granny doing this is my memories. Back then we didn't talk about germs and I never considered how many other people might have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brown paper..your grannie may have:)...I thought about NOT writing this blog..until the lady sat down beside me. It was a big green light to be bold and write:)...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! good, clever (and lazy) solution though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey~clever & lazy a good combination:) thanks Loreen

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by my site. I love to hear your comments and thoughts on my posts.

Thanks

Loreen