Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diet/Delicious-- Sweet/Sour Cabbage Stew

I have been dieting and working out with weights for a couple of years now. I am proud to say I have been successful at getting smaller (my trainer says "leaner").

 Call it whatever you want, my clothes are too big and I feel wonderful!

In the process I have found out I am allergic to wheat. If I eat wheat my face and sinuses swell. It is very painful but a great motivation to say no to wheat and yummy baked goods:)

Since I am mainly eating, fruits, vegetables and lean protein I am getting creative.

I am a big fan of cabbage rolls. If you have ever made them they take a lot of work.  I think it is the tangy sweet and sour tomato flavor that I enjoy.

So being the time saver cook that I am I came up with a quick solution.

My version of cabbage roll stew.

 Put the following ingredients in a stock pot


1 Cup of Water
4 Cups of chopped fresh Brussels Sprouts or 4 cups chopped fresh Cabbage
2 cans of Del Monte Organic Dice Tomatoes or your favorite brand of diced tomatoes.


 A little salt and pepper
3 Tablespoons of sugar- or a little more but taste it first
2 Tablespoons of white vinegar-or a little more but taste it first

Put everything pan at the same time and cook on medium to low for about 20 minutes (or until the Brussels Sprouts or Cabbage is tender)

Then I add 1 1/2 cups of my precooked hamburger. (Here is the blog that will explain where the cooked beef comes from.) If you are a vegetarian it is good without the meat.


You can also add 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked rice. I prefer brown, way better for you:)

 I love this recipe- it is really easy, taste great and is very, very low calorie. It last in the fridge for several days ( you can freeze it also). It taste better after a day or two when the flavors all mix!

It taste & looks like chopped up cabbage roll!!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by my site. I love to hear your comments and thoughts on my posts.

Thanks

Loreen