Friday, March 30, 2012

How Many Sewing Machines Do You Own?




When I was a little girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, I was at an auction with my mother 
where she bought a little black and gold sewing machine. 

It was a Singer 221 Featherweight machine. That was the vintage machine I learn to sew on. 

I have wonderful memories of sewing with my mom and using that machine.




About 25 years ago I walked into an estate sale. Back in the corner was a little black case.

 I knew immediately it was a Singer Featherweight machine like my mom had bought when I was a little girl.

I also, knew I was NOT leaving without that machine. 

Note: I have a certificate from Singer that dates my machine. It was issued in 1953, that makes it a few years older then me:)

I bought it for $70.00, which was a steal. I was so excited, I don't think anyone understood how much that meant to me to have my own Singer Featherweight just like my mom's.

 I had 3 little girls back then, so I was so excited to be able to use that machine with my girls just  like I did with my mom. 

 My daughter's & now my granddaughter's have all sewn on my little machine. 

It runs slow and steady which makes it a great machines to learn on.


The other day, I was in Family Sewing in Grandville MI taking a serger class. (They do a great job at classes)


How fun, it looks so much like my 1953 Singer Featherweight. SO COOL! I had to stop and take a good look at it. What a great idea Singer had to make it look so vintage! I am sure there are many warm memories this vintage looking machine brings to people. The vintage look is so touching! 
 Singer had a contest last year for this very machine. I told my story and read many wonderful accounts of people and their experiences with Singer machine's.




This is my current  sewing machine........a state of the art back in 1988 when I bought my Viking Machine. 

(Almost as vintage as my little 1950's black Singer:)

It still works very well but I hope to update it soon.


Don't feel too bad for me & my vintage sewing machines....since I just bought a wonderful Serger! 

(In-fact, my mom last December was laughing at me that I was still just using a sewing machine and had not bought a Serger) 

So....I bought a Baby Lock Evolution. Incredible! Awesome! 
Why did I wait so long!~~ you get the idea!

What an interesting adventure this new machine has been. The challenge of knowing when and how to use a Serger vs a regular sewing machine.--But that's another blog:)

 There is so much truth in the saying of  how difficult it is to teaching an old dog new tricks, 
especially when the old dog is me teaching me!!!!

I love doing the rolled hem and the cover stitch!



 I LOVE my new Serger!

I am sure one day my lovely new Baby Lock Serger will be added to the list of my favorite vintage machines:)

Sew Much Fun!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Laura, I agree...it really is a "pretty" machine. So fancy with the gold trim around it. thanks

      Delete
  2. I love the story of your machine! So sweet. I have a wonderful sewing machine given to me by my mother on my birthday and I really wish that I would have time to sew. My mother is an amazing seamstress -- she was the one that made my wedding gown. As the years pass the hours that she spent on that dress mean more and more and more to me.

    Thank you for linking up. It was really fun to read your post.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael,
      It does take a lot of time to sew, it is hard to get all the things around the house and sew. I just spent a weekend sewing with my granddaughters is Ohio. I let the little 4 year old lay on my back and look over my shoulder when I was sewing. My daughter told me I would NEVER have let them do that while I was sewing! Funny how you let your grand kids do whatever! Hopefully some day you will have more time:) Enjoy your day!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by my site. I love to hear your comments and thoughts on my posts.

Thanks

Loreen